8th Grade Physical Education and Health Syllabus
Instructors: Emily Ruegemer
PE Office: 320-982-7183 Health Classroom: 320-982-7358
Health and Physical Education is a vital part of a complete education. Students involved in the 8th Grade Health and Physical Education curriculum will, according to multiple documented sources, be in activities that can enhance their academic performance and classroom behavior throughout the school day. Increasing health knowledge and developing healthy behaviors in our students helps them become well-rounded individuals. Student will be introduced to and participate in activities that will help them remain active through a lifetime, learn to set and achieve health related goals and work with others in multiple situations. During the Health portion of the class students will have an opportunity to explore health related topics in detail and learn positive decision making skills.
Fitness testing Recreation Games Basketball Dance
Football Softball Floor Hockey Flexibility
Weight Room Disc Golf Self-Defense Tennis
Speedball Lacrosse Skating Soccer
Ultimate Frisbee Bowling Swimming Skating
Volleyball Snowshoeing Pickleball Archery
Fitness Components Communication Skills 8th Grade: CPR/First Aid
Body Systems Stress/Time Management
Mental Wellness/Disorders Chemical Health
Decision Making Coping with Loss
Social Health Human Reproduction
Materials needed for this course:
Textbook and Resources Utilized:
· Presidential Fitness Standards
· Various IPad applications
· Edmodo Site (app) – students are expected to monitor classroom activities and requirements DAILY through
You will be graded throughout the semester on each of the National PE Standards.
Standard 1: 15% Skills Tests - average of all scores
Standard 2: 15% Cognitive Assessments - Examples: written tests, worksheets, iPad work, peer teaching, etc.
Standard 3: 20% Class Participation - Daily scale of 0-3, updated weekly
Standard 4: 10% Social Responsibility - Daily scale of 0-3, updated weekly
Standard 5 40% Projects - assignments, labs, projects, tests, etc.
· Class Participation (20%) – Students will earn 3 points per day based on individual participation
· Social Responsibility (10%) – Students will earn 3 points per day and are expected to dress
appropriately in exercise attire, be on time, and have all classroom materials
F 59 or less
Unexcused absences: Unexcused absences will result in the loss of points for that day or a score of
Make-up days: Make up days will be scheduled for those students with excused absences. They will need to be scheduled with your teacher.
Limited participation: For extended non-participation a doctor’s note is required.
For temporary limited participation a parent/guardian note is required and students will be asked to make up those points by a modified activity or scheduling with the teacher.
Late Work: All work is expected to be turned in by the due date.
Classroom management/discipline plan:
· 1st incident results in a student teacher meeting to discuss behavior plan
· 2nd incident results in parent contact and the development of a behavior plan
· 3rd incident result in meeting with administration.
o Behaviors that are safety issues may result in immediate removal from class.
Requirements: Student participation is a must. This is an activity-based class therefore students should expect to be active during the class period. Students should be prepared to openly experience new activities. Remember to be safe, responsible, and respectful and have fun.
- District Info
- Agendas & Minutes
- Become a School Board Member
- Blended Learning Site
- Board Members
- Board Committees & Representatives
- Campaign Finance Reports
- District Map
- District Office Staff
- Emergency School Closing Information
- Employment Opportunities
- Policies & Procedures
- Required Notices
- School Forest Environmental Learning Center
- Staff Directory
- Strategic Plan
- Talk to Us
- Student Built House - BIDS NOW BEING ACCEPTED!!
- Blended Learning Site
- Milaca Elementary
- Elementary Home
- Early Childhood Screening
- School Readiness Preschool
- 1st Grade
- 2nd Grade
- 3rd Grade
- 4th Grade
- 5th Grade
- 6th Grade
- ALP (Accelerated Learner Program)
- ELL (English Language Learners)
- RTI: Early Literacy Intervention
- Social Workers-Elem
- Special Education--Elem
- Title 1
- Math Resources
- Health Services
- Milaca High School
- Milaca Area Learning Center
- Rum River Online School
- Community Education