7th Grade Physical Education and Health Syllabus
Instructor: Jocelyn Berg E-mail: Phone: 320-982-7323 Best time to contact: 7:30-8:00am or 3:05-3:45pm
Health and Physical Education is a vital part of a complete education. Students involved in the 7th Grade Health and Physical Education curriculum will be in activities that can enhance their academic performance and classroom behavior throughout the school day. Increasing health knowledge and developing healthy behaviors in our students helps them become well-rounded individuals. Students will be introduced to and participate in activities that will help them remain active throughout their lifetime, learn to set and achieve health-related goals, and work with others in multiple situations. During the Health portion of the class, students will have an opportunity to explore health-related topics in detail and learn positive decision-making skills.
Potential Physical Activities:
Fitness testing Basketball Badminton Tennis
Football Softball Floor Hockey Bowling*
Strength Training Dance Swimming Track & Field
Lacrosse Soccer Volleyball Ultimate Frisbee
Team Building Gymnastics Table Tennis Others?
- Potentially students will go bowling for 5 days during 4th quarter.
- All students will need a swimsuit/trunks for our swimming unit during 2nd quarter.
Suicide Prevention Mental & Emotional Wellness/Disorders
Physical/Mental/Social Health Sexually Transmitted Infections/Diseases
Fitness Components Alcohol, Tobacco, Vaping, & Drugs
Stress Management Human Growth and Development
Materials needed for PE:
- You are REQUIRED to be prepared for class each day by having a change of clothes, which allows you to function athletically and promotes good hygiene.
- Shorts, t-shirt, sweatshirt, sweatpants, and tennis shoes.
- Failure to dress appropriately will have a negative impact on your grade.
- Locks will be provided and you are responsible for the lock that is issued to you. You will be required to return that lock at the end of the school year.
- A lock fee of $7 will be administered if you lose/break your lock.
- Personal locks can be used as long as a combination or key is provided to the teacher.
- Swimsuit/Trunks (A one-piece swimsuit is required according to the school’s pool rules)
Textbook and Resources Utilized in Health class:
- Charged Chromebook
- Google Classroom – students are expected to monitor classroom activities and
requirements DAILY through the class page.
- Be On Time. (Students have 5 minutes after the bell to change.) 3 tardies = 1 lunch detention & loss of points
- Be Prepared. (Students are required to wear tennis shoes and clothing that is appropriate for exercise).
- Follow teacher’s directions the first time they are given.
- Respect your teacher and classmates in words and actions.
1st incident results in a student-teacher meeting to discuss behavior.
2nd incident results in parent/guardian contact and the development of a behavior plan.
3rd incident results in meeting with administration.
* Behaviors that are safety issues may result in immediate removal from class.
Milaca Bullying Policy:
This class follows the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program:
- We will not bully others.
- We will try to help students who are bullied.
- We will try to include students who are left out.
- If we know that somebody is being bullied, we will tell an adult at school and at home.
Student participation is a must. This is an activity-based class therefore students should expect to be active during the class period. Students should be prepared to try new activities with an open mind. Remember to be safe, responsible, respectful and have fun.
Grading: You will be graded throughout the year on each of the State PE and National Health Standards.
F 59 or less
Class Participation & Responsibility:
Students will earn 5 points per day in physical education class based on dressing appropriately in athletic attire, participation, being respectful to self, staff, classmates, equipment and progress towards State PE Standards. Health and PE assignments will consist of classwork, homework, tests, skill assessments and projects. Each PE & Health assignment will have a point value to it.
Locker Room Expectations:
Students will have 5 minutes before and after class to change. They should do so quickly and then go into the Health room (S133) in their assigned seat as soon as they are ready for class. Cell phones are NOT allowed to be used in the locker rooms/restrooms. There will be consequences for misbehavior, rough housing, and vandalism.
Cell phones/Electronic Devices:
Cell phones and other electronic devices are NOT to be brought to physical education class, unless directed by the teacher to do so. Electronic devices are NEVER to be used in any locker rooms or restrooms. Failure to comply with this procedure will result in a behavioral referral.
Limited participation in PE:
For EXTENDED NON-PARTICIPATION (longer than 1-2 days) a doctor’s note is required. While in the swimming unit, students will be required to swim unless they provide a doctor's note. Students who do not swim and fail to turn in a doctor’s note will receive no credit for the unit.
For temporary LIMITED PARTICIPATION a parent/guardian note is required and students will be asked to make up those points by a modified activity.
Absences for PE: Students will be required to complete a make-up form/assignment in order to earn points missed due to an absence. Form/assignment and instructions will be provided. Make-up work forms must be signed by a parent/guardian and turned in 2 days after it’s assigned to earn full credit.
Late Work: All work is expected to be turned in on the due date. Students will be given one week (7 calendar days) to submit late work; after one week students will receive no credit. Late work received within the 7 days will earn a 10% deduction. Late work will not be accepted after the unit assessment has been given.
PE Areas: We will be utilizing the pool, gyms, weight room, Rec Park, Milaca trails, disc golf course, and other areas inside and around the school.
Health class: Health class will meet every other day in room S133 throughout quarters 2 and 3 only. On the opposite days, students will be participating in physical education class.
Tear off this page and keep the syllabus for future reference.
*Please note there may be times when PE classes go off campus to Rec. Park, the disc golf course, pickleball courts or the trails during class. Signing below gives permission for your student to be a part of those classes.
Please sign and date in the spaces below. Your signature implies that you have read and understand the expectations of this class and will put forth full effort to follow the expectations.
Circle Class Hour: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
Student Name: _____________________________________________________________________
Student Signature: _________________________________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Name: _____________________________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Signature: __________________________________________________________
If you have any questions and/or concerns, please feel free to email or call me.